What to Do in Fire Emergency
A fire may include visible flames or strong odors of burning.
For the person discovering the fire:
- Evacuate the building. Call 911 then the CBS Campus Security Officer at 301-366-3105
- Confine the fire by closing the doors.
- Pull the nearest fire alarm, if there is one.
- Evacuate the building via the nearest exit.
- Assist others in exiting the building.
- Avoid smoke filled areas.
- Call 911 then the CBS Campus Security Officer at 301-366-3105. Gather at a safe distance from the building (100 ft.).
For persons evacuating from the immediate fire area:
- Feel door from top to bottom. If it is hot DO NOT proceed; go back.
- If door is cool, crouch low and open the door slowly.
- Close door quickly if smoke is present so you do not inhale it.
- If no smoke is present, exit the building via the nearest stairwell or exit.
- If you encounter heavy smoke in a stairwell, go back and try another stairwell.
- Under no circumstances is anyone to reenter the building.
- Fire drills will be conducted periodically.
- When the fire alarm sounds, assume it is a real fire emergency and follow proper evacuation procedures.